Tuesday 17 August 2010

The Regal

Photo from The Regal website

We went to see Shrek 4 (or whatever the real title is?) on Sunday- at the Regal cinema in Evesham.
The Regal is a beautiful Art Deco building that had been derelict for 8 years - renovation work began last year and the Regal is once again showing films.
The Regal has many fond memories for me - it was the first cinema I ever went to, the first cinema I went to on my own with friends (Beethoven..), where I saw my first 18 certificate film (Interview with the Vampire). We also used to go to the Regal with primary school every Christmas to watch such classics as Herbie and Robin Hood with Keith Chegwin! (same selection every year...)
The Regal website is worth a look - it has loads of photos of the original features that are being restored as well as film and event listings, progress reports and opportunities to help out and support the project.

3 comments:

  1. great news. love old cinemas so it is fab to see one being restored. enjoyed hearing about your bond with the place too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elli
    Just a quickie to say Keith Chegwin yikes and I blogged your cards today!
    Kind regards
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this really brought back some memories! I went to the Evesham Regal ( or flea pit as we called it) many times as a child, especially for the Saturday morning kids shows. It wasn't something we did together as a family but I have a very special memory of my mother going with me and a friends family to see 'Bedknobs and Broomstick, she died not long after and so was always a place I loved. It is great it has been restored and I may have to visit next time I am visiting family.
    Thanks this was a lovely blog for me x

    ReplyDelete